Boston’s rich history, world-famous educational institutions, proud residents (and equally proud sports fans), and memorable things to do, make Boston a city best experienced in person.
Do Boston how you want. Whether you’re traveling with kids-in-tow, planning a quick weekend getaway, meeting up with friends, or going solo, our travel guides have all you need to make the most of your trip and ensure you have a wicked good time in Boston.
What are some popular attractions to visit?
- Boston Duck Tour – This one of a kind tour combines high-energy fun with a unique perspective on the history of Boston.
- New England Aquarium Whale Watch – Enjoy front row seats to view some of the ocean’s most fascinating and magnificent animals.
- Hop On Hop Off Boston Trolley Tour – A great way to see many of the top attractions, popular shopping destinations, museums, and more.
- Fenway Park Tour– Don’t miss this classic Boston experience at “America’s Most Beloved Ballpark”.
- New England Aquarium – Your Aquarium adventure includes playful seals, eye-catching jellies, and unforgettable hands-on experiences at the Shark and Ray Touch Tank exhibit.
These are just a few. Want more fun ideas for things to do in Boston? Head over here for more Boston attractions to see during your trip.
How long are you visiting?
Depending on how long you are planning to visit, these sample itineraries are designed to showcase a number of the most popular things to do in the city.
From popular attractions to iconic landmarks, these suggestions will help you have fun-filled days of sightseeing.
- 1 day in Boston – sample itinerary
- 2 days in Boston – sample itinerary
- 3 days in Boston – sample itinerary
- more coming soon!
Who are you visiting with?
No matter who you’re traveling with, there are a ton of fun things to do in Boston, particularly for families.
We’ve put together a list of top attractions and activities geared towards young kids to help you plan your family vacation.
- Things to do in Boston with kids
- Things to do in Boston with teens
- Things to do in Boston for Adults
- more coming soon!
What type of activities interest you?
- Top Boston museums
- Top places to take pictures in Boston
- Visiting Boston on a budget
- more coming soon!
What parts of Boston are you visiting?
We highlighted a handful of the top attractions, places to see, and which Boston neighborhoods to visit during your vacation.
- Boston neighborhoods guide
- Things to do near Fenway Park & Back Bay
- Things to do near Faneuil Hall, the Waterfront & North End
- Things to do in Cambridge, MA
- Things to do in Salem, MA
When are you visiting?
Check out our lists of things to do in the city throughout the year to make the most of your itinerary and experience unique, calendar-based events.
What’s the best way to get around?
Boston is pretty easy to navigate.
Neighborhoods are clustered close together and easily explored on foot, taxis and shared ride services are always available, and even though it’s the oldest in the nation, the public transportation system, the “T,” is very reliable and can get you just about anywhere.
Tip: for quick subway reference or get the free moovit app for point-to-point trip planning and real-time updates for both subway and bus routes.
Hop-on hop-off tours: a hop-on hop-off sightseeing tour (included with your pass) is a great way to get acquainted with the city and get around to popular attractions.
Looking for more info? Check out our post on getting around Boston for tourists.
Where should you stay?
There are plenty of great places to stay in the area. Below are a handful of hotel suggestions located near popular tourist attractions and fun things to do.
- Boston Marriot Long Wharf
- Boston Harbor Hotel
- Courtyard Boston Downtown
- Harborside Inn
- Marriott Vacation Club Pulse at Custom House, Boston
Where should you shop?
In between sightseeing, try and find time to pick up some souvenirs. Here are a few popular areas to get some shopping in.
- Copley Place
- Shops at Prudential Center
- Cambridgeside Galleria
- Faneuil Hall Market Place
- Assembly Row
Make sure to check out all of the extra discounts and savings available on the Go Boston Card.
Where should you eat?
Go on a tour of Boston’s foodie scene with this comprehensive list of some of the best places to eat in Boston. We’ve included top picks for seafood, drinks with a view, Italian food, coffee shops, and brunch.
We’ve even included a few nearby attractions so you can sightsee while you taste your way through Boston’s culinary destinations. No judgment.
Fun Info from a Local
- It’s “Boston,” not “Beantown”
- Pahking yah cah in Hahvad Yahd is actually challenging, avoid having to look for a parking spot by making use of the “T”
- The Italian food in the North End rivals that of Italy
- You haven’t seen Boston until you’ve experienced Fenway Park
- The best way to prepare for the weather is to prepare for all weather
- Dunkin’ Donuts > Starbucks (#loyaltodeath)
- The Boston Common is the oldest public park in the US
Share your adventure with us!
Tag us when you upload photos from your trip to Instagram: @SmartDestinations or #GoCityCard.