BIG fun awaits in San Antonio. As Texas’ second largest city, it’s home to some of the state’s most visited attractions and historic sites; from Texas Hill Country explorations to centuries-old missions and leisurely cruises along the river, San Antonio has it all – and then some.
San Antonio’s local culture is cohesive in its diversity – a unique result of modern-day city influences blending with carefully preserved historic influences. You’ll experience an array of cultures, including Native American, Old Mexico, German, the Wild West, African American, and the Deep South everywhere you visit.
What are some popular attractions to visit?
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas – San Antonio’s biggest, most popular themed attraction featuring dozens of thrill rides, shows, and activities
- SeaWorld® San Antonio – Texas theme park offers roller coasters, rides, shows, tours, attractions & family-friendly activities for thrill seekers & animal lovers.
- Texas Hill Country & LBJ Ranch Tour – Tour the beautiful Texas Hill Country with its peach, pecan and olive orchard vineyards, and LBJ’s boyhood home along with the LBJ Ranch.
- San Antonio Museum of Art– Located on the River Walk, enjoy large collections of ancient Mediterranean art, Asian art and Latin American art with a notable contemporary collection.
These are just a few. Want more fun ideas for things to do in San Antonio? Head over here for more San Antonio attractions to see during your trip.
How long are you visiting?
Whether you’re visiting San Antonio for a quick trip or staying for a long weekend, we’ve put together sample itineraries with the most popular things to do in the city.
From all-around-town tours to iconic landmarks around the city, these itineraries give you the best San Antonio experience for the amount of time you’ll be in the city.
Who are you visiting with?
No matter who you’re traveling with, there are a ton of fun things to do in San Francisco, particularly for families. We’ve put together a list of top attractions and activities geared towards young kids to help you plan your family vacation.
- Things to Do in San Antonio with Kids
- more coming soon!
What parts of San Antonio are you visiting?
Explore San Antonio by neighborhood to make the most of you time sightseeing. We’ve highlighted a handful of top attractions and places to see by neighborhood in the city so you can sightsee as efficiently as possible and see everything on your list!
- San Antonio Neighborhoods Guide
- San Antonio River Walk Attractions
- Alamo Plaza Attractions
- more coming soon!
When are you visiting?
San Antonio is a popular destination year-round and offers a unique experience with each season and type of weather.
Check out our lists of things to do in the city throughout the year to make the most of your itinerary and experience unique, calendar-based events.
- Things to do in San Antonio in the Spring
- Things to do in San Antonio in the Summer
- Things to do in San Antonio in the Fall
- Things to do in San Antonio in the Winter
What’s the best way to get around?
San Antonio is easy to navigate and there are lots of options for transportation, including public transportation, taxis, and shared ride services.
Public transportation: the San Antonio public transportation system, called VIA, is convenient and reliable with limited lineup late night transportation and, three new VIVA bus lines service the Missions of San Antonio, the city’s urban core, and cultural Institutions along the Broadway corridor.
Tip: get the free moovit app for point-to-point trip planning and real-time updates for VIA.
Taxis: taxis are available, but not widely so, and shared ride services such as Uber and Lyft are easy to use.
Car: Navigating the city is fairly easy, just avoid rush hour and leave time to find parking.
Hop-on hop-off tours: a hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus tour (an attraction choice) is a great way to get acquainted with the city. While it shouldn’t be relied on as transportation, it does stop at some popular attractions.
Where should you stay?
There are plenty of great places to stay in the area. Below are a handful of hotel suggestions located near popular tourist attractions and fun things to do.
- シェラトン ガンター ホテル サンアントニオ
- Riverwalk Vista
- Hilton Palacio Del Rio
- Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk
- Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Northwest Medical Center
Where should you shop?
In between sightseeing, try and find time to pick up some souvenirs. Here are a few popular areas to get some shopping in.
- Market Square (El Mercado)
- North Star Mall
- The Rim
- Rivercenter Mall
- The Shops at La Cantera
Fun Info from a Local
- The Missions in San Antonio recently received UNESCO World Heritage status.
- President Lyndon B. Johnson was from the San Antonio area, you can tour his estate.
- There’s no basement at The Alamo.
- SeaWorld™ San Antonio is the largest marine life theme park in the world.
- Esquire Tavern, the oldest bar on the River Walk, opened the day prohibition was repealed: December 5, 1933.
- The Alamo is the most visited attraction in the state of Texas.
Share your adventure with us!
Tag us when you upload photos from your trip to Instagram: @SmartDestinations or #GoCityCard.